From rinsing dishes to washing veggies, a sink is one of the most used items in every kitchen, however, the style is often an afterthought when it comes to kitchen planning and design. While a kitchen sink may not need as much thought as technology-heavy appliances or the layout, it’s still an important kitchen feature that should be considered carefully. At Budget Plumbing Centre, we stock a huge range of high quality and affordable kitchen sinks suitable for every Perth home renovation or new build. Read on for our advice on how to select the right kitchen sink for your home.
Kitchen Sink Materials
Kitchen sinks come in many different materials, but the best material for you depends largely on your cleaning routine, your budget and the décor and design of your kitchen. The most common material options include:
- Stainless steel – one of the most popular options on the market. Stainless steel provides excellent corrosion resistance and is available in finishes ranging from a mirror-like shine to a matte satin. Stainless-steel kitchen sinks are appealing to many because they are affordable, durable, easy to clean and suit almost any design aesthetic. When shopping for a sink, keep in mind that lower-gauge stainless steel makes for a better quality sink.
- Enamel-coated cast iron – available in a wide range of colours, cast iron is a sturdy material that offers maximum durability. They lessen noise and vibration more than other materials but they can be heavy for installation and more expensive to purchase.
- Composite sinks – there are several types of composite sinks on the market, they can be made of quartz, granite, or other materials mixed with an acrylic or polyester-resin base. Typically featuring a speckled colour surface, they are relatively inexpensive making them appealing to homeowners on a budget.
Kitchen Sink Styles
The key behind choosing the right kitchen sink is to evaluate your space and personal needs based on the three common types of kitchen sinks:
- Undermount – these are installed beneath the benchtop and provide a no-barrier transition from benchtop to sink. The main advantage with this type of sink is that you can wipe a surface down straight into the sink. These sinks are compatible with solid benchtop materials such as granite, marble or concrete. Materials such as laminate or timber are not stable enough to support the strength of the sink.
- Drop-in – another common sink option, these sinks ‘drop’ into a hole in the benchtop with the lip of the sink resting on the bench. Usually less expensive than undermount sinks, they are much easier to replace when the time comes for a new sink however they do lack the sleek, modern profile of an undermount sink.
- Farmhouse sinks – generally used in heritage and older style homes, these high-end sinks become a focal point in a kitchen, especially when installed beneath a kitchen window. One of the more expensive options, they also require a few special considerations and you may need a specific type of base cabinet.
The bowl configuration is another factor to consider in your decision. Double bowls are the most common configuration, offering one for scrubbing and one for rinsing. If space is an issue and double bowls are a must, an oversized bowl and a small bowl combination should be sufficient. If space isn’t an issue, one oversized and one standard sized bowl is great for washing larger items as well as regular plates and pans. Single bowl sinks are also common especially for smaller kitchens, try to choose a large bowl to accommodate washing of large roasting pans and platters.
Consider a Second Kitchen Sink
A second kitchen sink can also be a major benefit. You can place a small second sink in an island bench for quick rinses or easy hand-washing, or in side cabinetry as part of a wet bar area. A second sink is an affordable way to add an extra layer of functionality to your kitchen. If you are planning a whole new kitchen or just a little makeover, it’s important to consider everything as well as the kitchen sink. Sink material, style, size and bowl configuration are very important factors when it comes to selecting the right sink for your space. If you need more advice or to shop the best range of kitchen sinks in Perth, visit one of our showrooms today or browse our range online. With all the best brands at the best prices, Budget Plumbing Centre Perth is the only place to go for your kitchen, bathroom and laundry needs.